Now accepting submissions for Playwrights Express!
The First Stage Playwrights’ Express is the annual staged reading marathon of 15-minute plays performed over the course of a weekend as our major fundraiser. This year we have partnered with the Eclectic Company Theatre.
For their $40 submission fee, playwrights are guaranteed a staged reading of their work over the festival weekend of May 21, 2016. Fees received support the free member services provided by First Stage, and the writers get to see their work performed by professional actors. The audience votes for its favorite comedy, drama and best of the festival. Playwrights are encouraged to attend but not required. It’s an exciting and fun event.
PLAYWRIGHTS’ EXPRESS SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
• Original work(s) – Excerpts O.K.
• Not longer than 15 minutes.
• No more than 6 characters. 2 – 4 characters are preferred.
• Include a cast breakdown with age range and gender for each character and a one sentence log line or synopsis.
• Include a tax-deductible donation of $40 for each work, (Make checks payable to “First Stage” or the “Eclectic Company Theater”.)
• Digital copies will be emailed to you, but if you prefer a DVD of your work (up to 3 plays on one DVD) one will be available for an additional $30 donation.
• Include enough copies for each character, the director and technical director.
• All rights remain property of the writer.
• Deadline: Submission deadline for 2016 – April 21st, 2016.
• Mail to:
Eclectic Company Theatre
5312 Laurel Canyon Blvd
Valley Village, CA 91607
Scripts will not be returned. Results of audience voting will be posted on both the First Stage and Eclectic Company Theatre website. To contact First Stage,
323-850-6271, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.firststagela.org. To contact the Eclectic Company Theatre,please call 818.508.3003, email production@
*These fees are the only means of support for our 501(c)(3) non profit organization. Tax ID #95-4248868 The fee is a tax deductible donation.
Now accepting submissions for Steampunk Fairy Tales! (Deadline extended through March 31st!)
The Eclectic Company Theatre is accepting submissions of original one-act plays for Once Upon a Glitch in Time: Steampunk Fairy Tales. The shows will be premiering in Fall 2016. The deadline for submissions is February 15th, 2016.
Below are the submission guidelines:
- A limit of two plays per playwright
- It should be a one act play, at least 5 minutes and at most 25 minutes
- Must be an original work with no prior production
- Each play must be based on a well-known fairy tale, and must include at least two different fairy tale characters interacting within the story.
Please note: THIS IS NOT A RETELLING OF A FAIRY TALE, BUT A BRAND NEW TALE.
- Each play must have a steampunk element. Think clock hands, gears, airships, THINK VICTORIAN SCIENCE FICTION.
- Although it’s not solely for children, please keep each play kid-friendly, but something that adults can enjoy as well.
Submissions are open to any writer. By submitting a script you agree to the following:
- Once script is selected, writer must be willing to work with producer on any necessary changes.
- Must be willing to continue to workshop the play with other playwrights and make any necessary rewrites after our staged reading (in March of 2016.)
- Playwright whose work is chosen will receive a stipend of $25 and 4 comp tickets to see the show.
- Must be willing and accept the chance this will get published in an anthology at the end of the run.
Plays should be submitted in a PDF format without name or contact information of the writer on the script. Please place the writer’s name and contact information in the text of the email or on a separate page. The subject line should be the title of script, writer’s name. For example: “Snow White’s 8th Dwarf, John Doe”
Scripts and any questions should be emailed to ECTSteampunkFairyTales@gmail.com.